Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Community blood drive will be May 14.
- VOLUNTEERS IN THE NEWS
Tuesday, April 23
The Livingston Fire Department will host a community blood drive on Tuesday, May 14 at the Fire Headquarters at 62 So. Livingston Avenue from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. All donors will receive a $10 Shop Rite gift card. Also, according to a new law, 16-year-olds may donate as long as they have a parental consent form, which will be available at the drive. All donors must provide a signed ID card. New donors should know their Social Security number (or bring the card). Nurses suggest eating a meal one hour before donating, and drinking plenty of water. Donors must be at least 120 pounds.
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Plumber using a torch caused gas line to ignite.
A plumber working on a house on Hazel Avenue inadvertently caused a fire in a crawl space when he used a torch near a gas line on Tuesday, said Livingston Fire Chief Chris Mullin. The plumber, who was not injured in the small blaze, quickly extinguished the fire with a portable extinguisher and called the fire department to make sure it was completely out, said Mullin. Mullin said the plumber was working on a gas line in the crawl space and the torch ignited the insulation behind the wall, because of a build-up of gas. "It could have been a lot worse," said Mullin. Firefighters wet down the wall to ensure the fire was out. "We don't advocate using a torch near a gas line," said Mullin.
Saturday, December 29, 2012
The power returned late Saturday afternoon.
5 p.m. Saturday update: Power has been restored to the mall. The mall is now open until 9:30pm and will open as scheduled tomorrow at 11 a.m. 11 a.m. update: The Livingston Mall remains closed Saturday following a power outage caused by a blown transformer. The mall posted on their facebook page: Due to a power outage Livingston Mall will be closed today, Saturday, December 29th. Please check for updates on hours for tomorrow. Thank you. No update has been given as to what progress has been made to restore the blown transformer. ---------------------------------------------- The Livingston Mall had to close early tonight following an extensive power outage. At approximately 6:30 p.m., a transformer blew underneath the mall, causing the …
Saturday, December 8, 2012
The Livingston Fire Department wants residents to know about the "silent killer."
- PUBLIC SAFETY
Saturday, December 8, 2012
The Livingston Fire Department is warning residents to always be aware of the carbon monoxide levels in their house. Carbon monoxide is a lethal odorless, colorless gas that is often in the air as a result of an improperly vented furnaces, hot water heaters and generators powered by gasoline or kerosene. According to a statement by the Livingston Fire Department, as the temperature drops, the chance of exposure to C.O. increases as residents attempt to keep warm by running the heating system more frequently, and finding alternate or supplemental heating sources. Carbon monoxide can also be caused by warming up a car in an enclosed garage. The exhaust fumes contain large amounts of carbon monoxide and the gas can leak into a home through…
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
The Livingston Fire Department will hold a blood drive on October 9.
On October 9, the Livingston Fire Department is sponsoring a blood drive from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Fire Headquarters. The department has partnered up with Dunkin Donuts to give a $5 gift card to anyone who donates. New Jersey is facing continuing shortages of blood donations and must import blood regularly from other states. Donations are needed every day to meet the needs of New Jersey hospitals. Blood center officials note that each unit of blood donated is broken down into several components including platelets, plasma, and red cells so one donation can save up to three lives. The donation process is safe and simple. Donors are first asked medical history questions and given a mini-health check, including pulse, blood pressure, …
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
BBQers should take notice of the dangers of gasoline accidents.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
As the temperature gauge rises, the chances of an accident increase, particularly when using gasoline as a fuel source. It is easy to forget that gasoline is very dangerous if not properly handled or stored. Gasoline expands and contracts based on the surrounding temperature, and the number one hazard of gasoline is fire or explosion. While liquid gasoline does not burn, gasoline vapors do and since vapors are heavier than air, they move close to the ground and can collect in low areas. Gasoline vapors can be ignited by cigarettes, matches, hot exhaust pipe or any spark with the same force as 14 sticks of dynamite. “Refueling gas powered equipment in the summer heat is particularly dangerous, especially if the engine is hot,” explained …
Friday, November 18, 2011
Home on Wychwood Road Sustains Fire and Smoke Damage
An unattended teakettle is believed to be the cause of a kitchen fire at 28 Wychwood Road Wednesday afternoon that left the home uninhabitable. Fire officials responded to the home at 3:55 p.m. when the home’s fire alarm alerted the Livingston Fire Department. When fire officials arrived, a neighbor thought the homeowner, Laurie Mayer, was in the house. While the fire was not visible from the front entrance, Livingston Fire Chief Christopher Mullin said police officer Michael Herbert saw fire and some smoke at the back entrance, and the two first responders forced entry through the back door. “The fire was rolling up the ceiling,” Mullin said. In addition, Mullin said, two dogs confined to kitchen with baby gates were barking when they …
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Hints to help enjoy the day provided by Livingston FD.
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Before trick-or-treating Monday, Livingston Fire Chief Chris Mullin provided Patch with a list of helpful hints to enjoy Halloween safely:
Friday, October 21, 2011
An off-duty Montclair firefighter helped quell chimney fire at Shrewsbury Drive house
Some quick actionby an off-duty Montclair firefighter stopped a fire from further damaging a Livingston home Friday morning. Austin Paris, a resident of Shrewsbury Drive, said he lit his livingroom fireplace for the first time this fall and was working on his computer when he heard a loud bang and saw a stranger standing outside his home telling him the house was on fire. Apparently the fireplace's outside exhaust pipe ignited along with two bird's nests right next to it, Livingston Fire Chief Christopher Mullin said. Mullin said the good Samaritan - Sebastian "Butch" Cavello - was driving by when he noticed the fire around 11 a.m. Friday. Cavello stopped, grabbed a backyard garden hose and started dousing the flames. It took 25 …
Monday, October 17, 2011
Award honors Foley's volunteer work in fire prevention and safety.
A recent letter that came through the company mail provided Timothy Foley with some of the best news he has received in his 12 years as an engineer at PSE&G. Foley was one of 17 employees of the state's public utility company rewarded with a grant for volunteerism. The Captain of the Livingston Fire Department and 25-year member of the township's Bravest received $1,000 that will go toward the department's continuing efforts to teach kids about fire prevention and safety. “I was very happy,” said Foley, a lifelong Livingston resident. “I was very happy for mys knowing the company looks at things we do volunteering and do things that help our community.” Throughout this week, the LFD has gone around to township schools educating students …