October will bring with it the start of Livingston's leaf collection program.
The township will be divided into three sections for the annual leaf collection program. Residents may only place leaves in the street gutter on the specific dates listed in leaf collection program schedule for each respective week and section.
Leaf Collection Sections
The township will be divided into the following three sections:
- Section 1: North of east/west of Mount Pleasant Avenue.
- Section 2: South of east and west Mount Pleasant Avenue and north of east and west Northfield Road
- Section 3: South of east and west of Northfield Road and West Mount Pleasant Avenue west of the traffic circle.
For more information on Sections, or to find your specific street, see the Alphabetical List of Roads with Leaf Collection Sections.
Leaf Collection Schedule
The township will collect leaves on the following dates:
- Week 1, Section 1: Place leaves in the street gutter from Oct. 28 through Nov. 3. Leaves will be collected from Nov. 4-10
- Week 2, Section 2: Place leaves in the street gutter from Nov. 4-10. Leaves will be collected from Nov. 11-17.
- Week 3, Section 3: Place leaves in the street gutter from Nov. 11-17. Leaves will be collected from Nov. 18-24.
- Week 4, Sections 1, 2, 3: Place leaves in the street gutter from Nov. 18-24. Leaves will be collected from Nov. 25 through Dec. 1.
- Week 5, Sections 1, 2, 3: Place leaves in the street gutter from Nov. 18-24. Leaves will be collected from Dec. 2-8.
Leaf collection on Essex County Roads and state highway Rt. 10 will occur once per week during the 2013 leaf collection season. See a full list of county and state roads below.
Rules and Regulations
The New Jersey Stormwater Management Rules state that leaves may not be placed any closer than 10 feet from any storm drain inlet or catch basin and can only be left in the street gutter for a maximum period of seven days prior to their scheduled collection date.
The township is required by the state to enforce the Stormwater Management rules. Failing to follow the leaf collection schedule and requirements could result in warnings and fines being issued to both the resident and any respective landscape contractor.
Township of Livingston General Ordinance Chapter 178, "Littering” contains the following requirements for disposing of grass clippings and leaves for the 2013 leaf collection season.
- Do not dispose of grass clippings by placing or causing them to end up (i.e., through air blowers or other mechanical equipment) on adjacent property.
- Do not dispose of grass clippings by depositing them in any catch basin or sewer or by leaving them along any curb line or gutter.
- Dispose of grass clippings only by putting them in a container.
- Do not dispose of leaves by placing or causing them to end up (i.e., through air blowers or other mechanical equipment) on adjacent property.
- Do not dispose of leaves by depositing them in any catch basin or sewer or by leaving them along any curb line or gutter.
- Dispose of leaves in containers, except during the scheduled annual leaf collection program.
- Place leaves at the curb line or in the gutter of that portion of the public street adjacent to the property from which the leaves are being disposed of only during the annual leaf collection program according to the times and dates in the published leaf collection program schedule.
- Do not place leaves closer than 10 feet from any storm drain inlet or catch basin.
- Only place leaves in the street gutter only for a maximum period of 7 days before their actual collection.
Residents Living on Essex County or state roads
If you live on Essex County or state roads, place leaves for disposal either in bags which have been provided by the township or their equivalent.
No leaves may be placed at the curb lines of these streets: Beaufort Avenue, East Cedar Street, Eisenhower Parkway, East/West Hobart Gap Road; Kennedy Parkway; Laurel Avenue; South/North Livingston Avenue, East/West Northfield Road, Old Short Hills Road, Parsonage Hill Road, Passaic Avenue, Shrewsbury Drive, South Orange Avenue, and Walnut Street; and State Highway Rt. 10 (East/West Mt. Pleasant Avenue).
For more information, call (973) 992-5000, ext. 5522.