Are you preparing that generator you purchased after Hurricane Sandy? If so, keep in mind these safety tips for generators and more.
Generators and Heating Units
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devise inside a home, garage, basement, crawlspace or any partially enclosed area.
- Locate units away from doors, windows and vents that could allow carbon monoxide to come indoors.
- Never contact a generator directly to your home's wiring unless your home has been wired for generator use.
- Portable generator safety information is also posted by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms in central locations on every level of your home and outside sleeping areas to provide an early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide.
- If a carbon monoxide alarm sounds, move quickly to a fresh air location outdoors, or by an open window or door.
- Call 911 from the fresh air location and remain there until emergency personnel arrive to assist you.
- Gasoline containers should never be brought inside. Store and use outside.
- Never smoke or use any item that can cause a spark anywhere near gasoline.
- Only use "approved" gasoline containers.
- Candles are not recommended, but if they must be used, follow these guidelines.
- Put candles in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders and place them where they cannot be easily knocked down.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Children should never be allowed to play with matches, lighters or candles.
- Never use a candle where medical oxygen is being used. The two can combine to create a large unexpected fire.
- Extinguish candles after use and before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Keep candles away from windows where they can ignite curtains.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- For those who still have no power or heat, consider turning off your water in your home at the main shut-off to prevent broken water pipes or keep water from trickling from the tap to keep the water flowing -- this will lessen the chance of pipes freezing.
- Never assume that a downed power line is not energised, as it could be "live."
- To report a downed wire, call 911.
- Never go near or touch an electrical wire or anything in contact with the wire.