A romantic dinner isn't the only option available to locals this Valentine's Day. Local businesses are offering ingenious ways to show your love — from a kickboxing class to cake decorating to a vintage photograph of your home from an old real estate listing.
And, of course, there are the traditional Valentine's Day dinners and concerts! Read on -- and be sure to call ahead for weather-related cancellations.
- The Livingston Lancer Jazz Band and Lab Band are hosting their third annual Valentine’s Dinner Dance on Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013 (postponed from Saturday because of the weather) at Livingston High School from 6:00 to 9:00 pm. The event is a fundraiser for the Band Boosters, who support all the bands and grant scholarships to graduating seniors. The Lancer Jazz Band and Lab Band will provide fabulous entertainment. Anthony Francos will serve a delicious pasta and meatball dinner. The cost is $20 for adults, $15 for senior citizens/students, and $5 for children under 12. Tickets will be sold in advance and can be purchased by sending a check made out to LHS Band Boosters to Debbie Saltzman, 20 West Lawn Road, Livingston, NJ 07039. (The snow date will be Sunday, February 10, 2013 from 4:00 to 7:00 pm.) Contact Jim Hegedus, Director of the Lancer Jazz Band, at email@example.com with any questions.
- Can't make the concert? For a list of Livingston's most romantic restaurants and places, visit here.
- The Blue Plate Special in South Orange is offering its first Live Music and Tasting Dinner this Valentine’s Day at a price of $125 per couple. Seatings begin at 6:30pm. Live jazz featuring acoustical guitar and upright bass from 7pm until 10pm. Reservations only with a $50 deposit per couple; table sharing with friends is recommended. The seven-course meal includes Honeyed Ginger Duck Summer Roll , Strawberry Champagne Soup, Oysters Po Boy On a Raft , Citrus Fennel Salad, a choice of Aged Dried Tenderloin with Gorgonzola, Rack of Lamb or Market Fresh Fish for the main course and dessert and a cheese plate.
- The brand-spanking-new Cut Steakhouse in West Orange (on the second floor of club 4Sixty6) is offering a special prix fixe Valentine's Day menu at $85 per person (tax and gratuity not included).
- The streets will be paved with chocolate for Maplewood Village's annual Chocolate Walk this Sunday, Feb. 10, but many Maplewood businesses are offering specials above and beyond this event: Perch Home is launching a new jewelry line for Valentine's Day. They are also offering special Valentine's Day gift wrap. Geralyn's Art Studio will host a Valentine Happy Hour on Friday, February 8 from 7 p.m – 9 p.m. Elisabeth Antoine, a local artist and cake decorator, will be holding a class at the studio. "We will be making Valentine bears with hearts to put on top of Valentine cupcakes," said proprietor Geralyn Robinson. Cost is $20 per person which includes all supplies. Valentine art work will also be for sale. Maplewood Karate + Kickboxing is inviting couples to come in on Valentine's Day for a kickboxing class — $10.00 drop in per couple. Tenth Muse will have Special Valentine's Day shopping hours: Sunday, Feb. 10, the Muse will be open from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. and will be open Late (to 8 p.m.) on 2/13 & 2/14. Highland Place/Cranes is offering a special Valentine's Day prix fixe menu. The Laurel will be featuring special menus all day on Valentine's Day including seafood, steak, and house made pasta along with many of their regular menu favorites. There will be complimentary champagne cocktail mixers, just BYOC. And, on Friday, Feb. 22, the HK Project Scholarship Fund is hosting a Valentine's Fundraiser at The Little Club. Tickets are $40.
- This Valentine’s Day, singer, songwriter and producer Jon B delivers a distinctive sound to contemporary R&B at South Orange Performing Arts Center. His unforgettable 1997 classic hit, “They Don’t Know” lead the charts and later became a platinum certified single. An accomplished songwriter, Jon B. has penned material for artists including Maxi Priest, For Real, After 7, Spice Girls, Az Yet, and Toni Braxton. A perfect romantic concert for you and your Valentine! Buy tickets at SOPACnow.org or call 973.313.ARTS (2787). Tickets start at $25. Concert takes place Thursday, February 14 at 7:30 pm.
- Coldwell Banker of Maplewood and South Orange is opening its archives to locals who want a picture of their home in Maplewood and South Orange — some dating back to the 40's. "It is really interesting to see the old listings (with sale price and tax amount)," says Lorraine Storch. "It is like looking at old photographs of a member of the family." As a Valentine to the community, Coldwell Banker invites anyone who would like the picture and old listing of their home to call the main office number at 973-378-8300. If they have the picture, they will scan and email it to the homeowner.
- Lily's Kandy Kloudz in Millburn carries lots of candy for Valentine's Day. Candy trees are their specialty!
- Moonshine Modern Supper Club in Millburn is offering a a 3-course or 5- course meal with special wine pairings. Reservations are still available.
Did we miss a Valentine's Day special in your town? Contact us here.