NJ Transit has announced various changes this year for the Independence Day holiday.
On Tuesday, July 3, extra outbound trains will operate on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast, Raritan Valley, Morris & Essex, Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines starting at approximately 1 p.m. Extra buses will operate from the Port Authority Bus Terminal on more than two dozen bus routes starting around noon. Visit njtransit.com for details.
On Wednesday, July 4, NJ Transit trains will operate on a weekend/major holiday schedule on all lines. The Newark Light Rail line will run on a Saturday schedule. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate on a weekend schedule. The River Line will operate on a Sunday schedule. Bus schedules vary by route—customers are advised to check their timetables or visit njtransit.com for schedule information.
NJ Transit is offering several rail options for people wanting to view the Macy’s fireworks display from New Jersey: To accommodate spectators traveling to the New Jersey Waterfront to view the annual Macy’s 4 of July Fireworks display over the Hudson River, NJ TRANSIT will supplement existing weekend rail service on the Morris & Essex Lines with additional trains to and from Hoboken Terminal. An additional trip will also operate to Hoboken on the Port Jervis Line. Hudson-Bergen Light Rail will operate additional trips between Tonnelle Avenue and Hoboken starting after 4 p.m.
To help ensure a safe, enjoyable trip, NJ Transit advises that customers should note the following:
- Please purchase round-trip tickets from ticket vending machines at your boarding station before getting on a Hoboken-bound train. Ticket lines will be long after the fireworks, and customers will not be allowed to board a train without a ticket. On light rail, you must activate your ticket by time-stamping it in an orange machine before boarding the train. On buses to Port Authority Bus Terminal, purchase round-trip tickets at the start of your trip from bus operators inbound to New York or at ticket vending machines where available. Bus customers departing Port Authority Bus Terminal are reminded that tickets must be purchased before boarding the bus.
- For schedule information, see information below or use the Trip Planner.
- Customers are encouraged to arrive as early as possible, and to expect crowds when the fireworks are over. The busiest trains will be those immediately preceding and following the event.
- Delays are possible, as large crowds can sometimes have an impact on train operations. Be courteous to your fellow riders by standing clear of the doors, moving all the way into the car, and making all seats available.
- Due to crowding conditions, bicycles may not be brought aboard NJ TRANSIT trains on July 4.
- As a reminder, smoking is not permitted aboard trains, in stations or on platforms.